Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Squished Whiskers!

We were getting ready to celebrate Ella's birthday with family and I still needed to go get a present (or 2).  Sandra agreed to go with me so we headed out to 5 Below.  It is back towards Mansfield, but not too far away.  I was getting ready to exit from 287 onto 157 and pulled into the slow lane and followed a line of traffic going 70 MPH (the speed limit).  Meanwhile a large read Dodge Ram  comes up speeding straight at me.  I was thinking he was just going to get really close and then follow, but nope, I was wrong.  We got hit from behind and heard a loud bang as the glass shattered in the rearview window.  The momentum pushed me into the fast lane.  Thankfully no one was there and I was able to slowly come to a stop on the side of the highway.  

While slowing down I heard a couple of loud bangs... from the truck smashing into the divider.  I was shocked form everything that happened, but I was fine and Sandra was fine.  I'm grateful she wasn't in the back seat and that we were able to keep calm.  I called police and Jeff then waited.  While waiting for help to arrive several vehicles stopped to ask if we were ok.  That was nice.  After a few min. I decided to walk back and check on the driver of the truck.  There was someone pulled over helping him and trying to get him out. He was an older gentleman and had some cuts on his arm.  

After the police and ambulance arrived and we gave a report of the accident we were free to go.  Jeff arrived and took us home... saying good-bye to Whiskers forever.  

The Ram must have turned last minute to avoid hitting me and got the side of the car and left the front of his grill embedded into the car.  That's the force that shoved me into the fast lane.  

Sandra and I ended up seeing a Chiropractor for about a month to monitor us for injuries.  We were truly blessed that nothing serious happened to us!  I will say that being in a high speed collision is quite stressful.  It took quite a while for the adrenaline to calm down!

It turns out they arrested the driver for DUI.  He must have been driving 90 MPH to come up and hit me like he did.  We are still in the process of resolving our suit, but the money has been settled to replace Whiskers so that's good at least. 

No comments: