Monday, April 6, 2009

Don't push your luck!

This is a cute Mhari story from today...

Every day the kids get to go out and collect our hen eggs. (In case anyone was curious; we still have them and they are doing well). Talmage usually gets his later - after homework and snack, since he gets home later.
Today Grant and Sandra collected their eggs and left one for Talmage. They played and eventually went inside to play. Meanwhile I decided to water the garden. Maybe there will be sprouts soon!?!

While watering I saw Mhari playing... she had been outside the whole time playing with the kids. She was walking toward me and acting really happy.



That's when I notice she had an egg in her hands. She LOVES the hens and has watched the other kids help long enough that she figured it was her turn to help too. It was very cute and she was so pleased with herself. I helped her take it inside. Surprisingly it survived with no cracks whatsoever. I asked Grant to go put another egg out in the hen house so Talmage could still help get an egg, since Mhari had helped with his egg.




Grant ran out with the egg, deposited it, and went back inside to play. I finished the yard stuff and soon noticed Mhari walking away from the hen house again smiling and coming toward me with the new egg. I had to laugh. She is one smart little girl. So I helped her bring it inside again. Again, no cracks whatsoever. What a sweet little punkin! I put it on the towel on the counter and then I decided that she was just too cute and I needed a picture. Seriously I should have known better.

I tried to give her the egg again, but by this time she was playing with Grant's shoes and didn't want the egg. I finally got her to take it and got a picture. She is playing "peek-a-boo" in case you were wondering :). I was wanting the two hands holding the egg "too cute" picture, but I settled for the one I got.

Once she was done she put the egg up on the kitchen table...



And that was just too much for the poor egg. The third time was the charm and the egg was cracked good. I guess I deserve it for not just being grateful that she hadn't harmed the first two eggs. We'll see how many eggs survive the little helper! I guess it could've been worse - broken egg on the floor, on the carpet, on the baby, etc. One cracked egg isn't a huge deal. It just meant that we got eggs for dinner :)!

5 comments:

Katy B. said...

So cool! Love the egg story....it was eggcellent! hehehehehe

The Gee Six said...

That is too cute! It's totally awesome that you have your kids help out. Way to teach them to be self-sufficient.

Machelle said...

Awesome egg story. She is already learning responsibilty. You have such great stories!!!

CourtneyB said...

That picture of Mhari holding the egg is adorable! She's really growing up - for a moment I thought it was Sandra! (:

Alli said...

All mine have had to break at least one egg just to get it out of their systems. Alana smeared it all over her hands when it was her turn. . .

I am SO proud of you that you watched it! I too yearned for more Dr Horrible but, oh well. My favorite is Nathan Fillion because we love Firefly, but Doogie rocked it too!