Sunday, August 30, 2015

The beautiful Bathroom!

When we bought our house a couple of years ago one of the things I really liked about it was that it was pretty well decorated.  It had nice paint, flooring, and even fancy doors.  That's not at all why we bought it, but it was a fun addition because then I didn't have to worry about decorating it.  One of the rooms I really loved was the powder room.  It was red and had a nice huge mirror and felt very fancy.  Now, it really was a tiny little powder room, but at least it was pretty.  

Well, the years have started taking it's toll on the house... you know, with 6 children abusing it daily :(.  The bathroom had some wallpaper and it had gotten torn.  I was pretty heart broken.  That meant that my pretty bathroom for guests wasn't pretty anymore, and that I had to figure out what to do about it.  

I looked through some pinterest ideas and figured out what to do to save the bathroom.  It was time to update the color, and even the fancy mirror.  I found some nice wainscoting at Home Depot and decided to add it to the wall. That also meant I didn't have to deal with removing the wallpaper... simple is better!

Well, after a couple of weeks I was able to get the project finished!  Here are some photos of the progress of the bathroom.

Here is what used to greet you when you opened the bathroom door.  

Dark red... huge mirror, tiny bathroom.  

Seriously some red in this room!  The lights are starting to cover up the mirror because it's so huge!

Oh the wallpaper :/.  This little section is right in front of the toilet... really no way of hiding it.  The previous owners had painted over the wallpaper originally so that's where I got the idea to just add another coat ;). 



Picking a paint color was torture.  I wanted a nice light blue to open up the bathroom.  Really, I just love blue and I wanted a nice clean calm feeling in this small space.  After painting sections of the wall it was so hard to decide on a color.  After I painted the whole bathroom the color on the left it was way too blue... kind of a baby boy blue.  Not really what I was going for.  I don't know why choosing paint is so hard for me, but I decided to try again and repainted with a lighter blue ... this time with success!

Once the bathroom was painted Tiffany came over to help me put up the wainscoting.  I haven't really used power tools before so it was nice to have a friend to help me out.  Also, it gave Jeff a break and he also didn't have to step in and just do the project for me.  I don't think he would have, but I'm sure he would have been tempted.  It was fun to have my awesome friend there helping and making memories with me!


Here I am cutting one of the wainscoting pieces.  Look at me using the table saw!!!

After realizing I didn't have enough materials and going back to the store and even doing the tiny hall that led into the bathroom I was finally finished!  It was a longer process than I wanted, but it was so nice to have it done!  

Here is a side by side... really helps show off how different a few changes can make!

Look how much bigger it feels without the red.  It's so bright and clean!


This gives a better feel for the blue color.  I found this fun painting and figured it was a great piece to help tie the blue and darker tones together.  I just love it!


No more ripped wallpaper!  It's a miracle!  Well, not really, I know how it got fixed and I'm so proud of all of how well it all turned out! 

Now I really want to redo the master bath.  It is so plain and boring.  Time to keep the projects rolling forward.

No comments: