Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I used to be TALL!!!

A friend of mine posted about how her aspirations had changed over the years and asked this question ... "Anything you see differently than when you were younger?" There are tons of things that I see differently, but I'll try to focus on just one today :).

I was seriously tall growing up. Well, I thought so anyway. I came across this old photo of me by the palm tree. I'm sure I was showing that this is how I felt most days, but in reality the comparison was not very real.


When I was younger I was one of the tallest in the class. I'm the third one from the left on the top row. I never liked being tall because I felt that the cute boys were always short. It never worked in my favor.

I don't know that I wanted to be short, just maybe a few inches shorter. I know that makes sense right. I figured that maybe I'd marry a boy who was my height or maybe even a little shorter so that my girls would have a chance to not be so tall.
The guys I was interested in never seemed to like me and I blamed it on my height. I'm sure there were lots of reasons the boys didn't like me though. I didn't get asked to dance much at the youth dances and again the height seemed the most logical reason. Looking back on all this attention I wished I had I am so glad I was tall and didn't get much attention from boys (at least the ones I wanted). I married an amazing man who is nice and tall! Our daughters will most likely be over 6' tall and I can't wait! It was difficult to be tall, but I was also able to avoid so much heart ache and bad situations! Over all my worries and upset years about height I'm so grateful to have had such a simple thing that seemed to keep me away from trouble.
Height really isn't everything (one of my sisters did marry a guy 2 inches shorter than her and her daughter is so petite and tiny. Unfortunately her daughter hates being short!) and guys really aren't all that important during our youth either. Such wonderful lessons that I was able to learn.

I am now a wonderful 5' 10 3/4'' tall and I wouldn't give up an inch. Heavenly Father blessed me with my wonderful body, height and all. This has been a tricky thing to understand, but I'm so blessed to be me and go through these experiences. Now I get to love my daughters through this same sort of trial, and yet, what a blessing!!!
Again this is just one of the many things that time has given me a wonderful new perspective of. I will now pose the question to anyone else who wants to answer...
Anything you see differently than when you were younger?

3 comments:

Cindy Killebrew said...

Can I just say that I was on the other end of the that. I HATED being so short. Now, it's not such a big deal because I am a grown up. I really hope though that Reagan is a little taller than me. My whole family is short!

Anonymous said...

This is so interesting to read because I knew you in the time you are talking about. It is awesome to see how God was working in that time. God is always working for good, even when we don't see it.
On a less serious note I ended up marring a shorter man than me, who is hoping I bring tallness to his family. So far I have done it and my boys are very tall.

Dalton Family said...

So I always wished I was a couple inches taller because then I swore I would be thinner!